• Every Girls Dream: Printable Make-up



When I was younger I didn’t really care too much about the quality of the makeup that I used. I mean one time I’m pretty sure I used an orange Crayola as a lipstick.

As I’ve grown up I’ve realised that whipping a crayon out of your purse to re-apply your lippie isn’t socially acceptable. Plus Mac lipstick is so much kinder on the lips. The only problem that I’ve found is that a pack of felt-tip pens are around a couple of quid where MAC’s Red ‘Ruby Woo’ lippie is a fairly wallet busting £17.

I’m always hearing stories that luxe designer brands use the exact same ingredients in their eye-wateringly priced cosmetics as the cheaper make up brands.

It seems I’m not the only one who is a little fed up of paying over the odds for make-up that is essentially all the same as each other. Harvard Business graduate Grace Choi has developed every young girl’s dream – a 3D printer that prints out make-up at home; the Mink Printer.

 ‘The make-up industry makes a whole lot of money on a whole lot of bull----‘stated Choi at last week’s TechCrunch Disrupt conference in NYC. ‘They charge a huge premium on something that tech provides for free. That one thing is colour.’

The way that the Mink printer works is that the user will select the colour that they want, either from a photo of a celebrity with a great lipstick or a friend who has a great shade of blusher, and takes the pixel code and simply prints out their own version.

The Mink can print everything from lipstick to eyeshadow, foundation and blusher in the space of a couple of minutes. The printer is set to be aimed at tech savvy 13-21 year old girls who haven’t developed any loyalties to any particular brands yet.


Expected to retail at around $200 with all of the colour and ink sold separately we can imagine the Mink Printer will be topping a lot of little girl’s Christmas Wishlists when it hits the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment